Have you ever dreamed of eating such soft, fluffy cakes? Something that melts in your mouth in every bite. Make your days marvelous by baking steamed sponge cakes right at the corner of your home.
This appetizing pastry is made with a handful of ingredients that somehow might be available in your kitchen. It will definitely win your heart with its light-toned honey color. It is normally used in different layered cakes. Thus, it is originally from Germany and eventually adopted by many cultures. Moreover, it has a squishy, delicate, spongy and equal crumb that sucks up the wetness from the creams, frostings, fruits, liquors, and syrups.
In addition, this cake can be baked in different styles. Some have their Asian version of it and one of its versions is the traditional Chinese Steamed Sponge Cake. This recipe will surely make you say “More please” (*insert pleading eyes).
If you want to try something new, better try this simple but yummy recipe.
Without further ado, get your baking equipment and ingredients prepped now!
- 1 cup Sifted Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 5 Eggs
- ½ Tsp. Cream of Tartar
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ Almond Extract
- Prepare an 8X8 or 9X9-inch cake pan with an attached parchment paper on it. Better prepare a wok for steaming. If you do not have a wok, you may use a bamboo steamer or any kind of available steamer in the kitchen.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bow. Mix it and set aside.
- Segregate egg yolks from egg whites. For the egg whites, beat it in a medium-size bowl until it becomes foamy. Next, add the cream of Tartar in the foamed egg white mixture. Then, add the separated egg yolks and outstanding ½ cup of sugar. Beat it for an additional two minutes. Moreover, stir it while putting the almond extract. Cautiously combine the flour mixture to the egg mixture, then, stir it carefully.
- Pour the final mixture into the cake pan. Prepare the water for a high-heated boil in a wok, and eventually tour it down into medium heat. Steam the sponge cake for 20-25 minutes. After steaming, let it cool then cut it into squares in a plate.
In order to nail this recipe, here are some tips to remind in making this loving treat:
- Steaming equipment. The key to a successful steamed sponge cake is to have the necessary steaming equipment. The best option is to have a wok or a bamboo steamer. It gives the best texture and flavor to it. However, you may also use any of your available steamers in your kitchen (as what’s mentioned in the procedure). Make sure to use a round or square cake pan that can settle down in the top vessel. Provide at least one-two inches space between the steamer lid and the cake pan. The steamer lid must not have single gaps or holes to have a perfectly-made delight.
- Water Level. Make sure to fill the bottom vessel with much water. Leave at least a two-inch gap in the middle of the top vessel. This will lessen for its need to increase water vapor.
- Prepare all the stuff needed. Prepare all the important ingredients and equipment. Make sure that all the ingredients are stored in the right room temperature. Another thing is, avoid having lumps when mixing the whole mixture.
For more fun-filled recipes, bake with ease and convenience with the best baking tools. Baker’s Dozen have a wide range of baking equipment you can choose from. Let’s create desserts with comfort and happiness. Let Baker’s Dozen be your companion in adding extra fun in your baking.